I’ve had a bit of a problem of late, namely: SQL Developer Edition 2005 and installing it.
When installing Visual Studio 2008, it installs SQLExpress 2005 which is a newer version that what I originally had on disk (though arguably not after updates). The SQLExpress however, didn’t come with all the client connectivity tools such as Management Studio (the replacement Enterprise Manager if anyone still knows it by that name), so I needed to get my version of SQL on my machine.
I decided the easiest way of installing would be to remove anything SQL’y in Add/Remove Programs and then to do the same for Visual Studio, as I have installed the combo on other machines when done VS2008 after SQL2005.
This went relatively successfully and I was able to install it… almost.
SQL Install says:
SQL Server Setup failed to obtain system account information for the ASPNET account. To proceed, reinstall the .NET framework, and then run SQL Server Setup again.
What? I have the most recent version of the .NET framework on my machine and its fully patched – how can the ASPNET account not be OK? I thought that maybe SQL (being a little older), needed an older version of the .NET framework. So I removed a few editions back to version 2.0 – still no luck. Googling was only finding limited useful answers, but I eventually stumbled upon what I needed:
Open up Command Prompt and go to
“C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322″ folder and run “aspnet_regiis -i” command.
This wasn’t perfect guidance for me, as the file didn’t exist in that specific directory, but hunting around the newer versions of the framework allowed me to find the file. Upon running that, a fairly unceremonius process runs and then when you retry your install process – Jobs a good ‘un!
Maybe I didn’t do this the best way, but I eventually have achieved what I wanted to and I feel all the better for it. And that’s no bad thing!